SWIMLocal is the new database system used for reporting Service Provider (SP) water and sewerage data to government agencies via SWIM. It is a software system designed to operate within each SP, synchronise with the central SWIM system and, most importantly, see the Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC) procedures built into SWIM moved closer to the point of data capture. The system allows SPs to have ultimate flexibility in their water and sewerage data management while integrating with other local systems.
The participation from our members has been crucial in the software’s development, with several Councils partnering with us to directly guide the development and updating of the SWIMLocal tools. In fact, SWIMLocal is substantially modelled (at least in look and feel and partly in concept) on a system developed by Gympie Regional Council to help manage its own internal reporting needs as well as input to SWIM. The 'task' module was a direct response to a need identified by Banana Shire Council, and other current and planned functionality is a result of direct input from a number of members.
Twenty-two Queensland and one NSW SP are currently using the full licenced version of the software with all 71 qldwater members able to use the free (limited) version of SWIMLocal for their annual water and sewerage data reporting. The software originally went ‘live’ in November 2012, with the new (free) Annual Data Tool first used for 2014/15 reporting.
The annual licence and maintenance price for the software is based on the size of the SP (i.e. number of connections) and can be provided by contacting qldwater at email@example.com. The SWIMLocal system of pricing is based on a cost recovery model.
There are currently two modules for SWIMLocal available:
- Indicators module which allows SPs to manage their indicator data
- Task module which allows SPs to manage their ‘regular’ maintenance tasks
There are four tools which allow SPs to work with these modules:
- Admin tool – creating, editing, removing of users, schemes, sites, categories and indicators
- Annual data tool – entering/editing annual water and sewerage data
- Operations tool – entering/editing operational ‘daily’ data
- Reporting tool – extracting data for internal reporting
Several new modules and additions are already being planned, such as:
- A SMS/email alert system for indicators exceedances (there is currently alerting functionality for missed tasks)
- An ipad/android platform for data entry directly from these and other mobile devices. Currently the software essentially works with any computer running Windows.
The SWIMLocal Licence Fee includes technical support (via phone) during working hours to all licensed users. Contact (07) 3632 6852.