Skills & Training
The Queensland Water Skills Partnership was created in 2011 as a new initiative to address critical skills needs facing the urban water industry in Queensland. It extends the work undertaken through the Water Skills Formation Strategy (SFS) which commenced in late 2009 supported by the Department of Education and Training and hosted by qldwater. The Partnership provides a vehicle for industry-wide collaboration and knowledge sharing, improved access to funding and other benefits like industry workforce development projects and national representation on key industry skills bodies.
Key activities undertaken through the partnership include:
• Funding applications on behalf of industry (successful applications include SIF, NWDF, workforce development funding etc.)
• Regional collaboration for short course training workshops and other accredited training.
• Development of online industry training resources including; Introduction to the Urban Water Industry Course, Urban Water Industry Legislation Course, and Basics of Water Risk Management Course
• Regular industry relevant skills and training updates through Skills Partnership e-flashes.
• Industry representation on national skills bodies.
• Assistance with training, workforce planning and skilling activities for members.
There are currently 36 subscribers to the Queensland Water Skills Partnership (as at end 2014) including;
Balonne Shire Council, Banana Shire Council, Barcaldine Regional Council, Barcoo Shire Council, Bundaberg Regional Council, Burdekin Shire Council, Carpentaria Shire Council, Cassowary Coast Regional Council, Charters Towers Regional Council, Central Highlands Regional Council , Diamantina Regional Council, Etheridge Shire Council, Gladstone Area Water Board, Gold Coast City Council, Goondiwindi Regional Council, Gympie Regional Council, Hinchinbrook Regional Council, Logan City Council, Longreach Regional Council, Mackay Regional Council, McKinlay Shire Council, Mount Isa City Council, North Burnett Regional Council, Queensland Urban Utilities, Redlands City Council, Richmond Regional Council, Rockhampton Regional Council, Seqwater, South Burnett Regional Council, Sunwater, Tablelands Regional Council, Toowoomba Regional Council, Townsville City Council, UnityWater, Wide Bay Water, Winton Shire Council
To join the Queensland Water Skills Partnership contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Membership is calculated on a simple $25 cost per water and wastewater employee per financial year.